Monday, June 2, 2008

Lamp Unto My Feet

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. I have taken an oath and confirmed it, that I will follow your righteous laws. " Psalm 119:105, 106.

When I arrived at work this morning, I was immediately hit figuratively in the face with words that made me very angry. My flesh wanted to rise up and take control in a very ungodly manner but I had to remember that as a Christian I had taken a vow to live a life according to God's word. It would have been so easy to close my eyes and strike back and I must admit it would have felt darn good too, but, I immediately began acknowledging to the person who had so set me off with today's mess, that we must stay on our knees. Interestingly enough, our conversation quickly came to an end because I'm sure that wasn't the anticpated response. My next move, since I was still dealing with the anger was to go into my office, grab my bible and begin to study and pray. God led me to this scripture and it spoke to my situation.

God's word is a reminder of how we as Christians are commanded to live our lives. This means we cannot act without thinking first about the words of God. We cannot be governed by the desires of our flesh and because of that we may have to endure suffering for His sake. I'm also strengthened and encouraged by the rest of this section of Psalm 119, especially verse 109 when the writer says, "Though I constantly take my life in my hands, I will not forget your law." So, even in those times when we act out in ways contrary to God's word, we cannot forget God's word. The scripture goes on to say that God's statues are our heritage forever. How awesome to realize that we own a heritage that sets the standard for our lives. A heritage of strength and not weakness, one of praise and not sorrow. Because of this heritage we as Christians must continue to keep God's laws and allow His word to guide our steps and light our path in this often times dark and deary world.

Be Blessed,

Cynthia

No comments: