Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Faith Without Action is Dead!

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, 'Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."- James 2:14-17.

We've all heard the portion of scripture from James, "Faith without works is dead." This type of faith I like to call lip service. It's easy to say I have faith, or I believe, but if we do not follow up this faith with action then we are simply talking to hear ourselves speak. Action or work is our proof of our faith. If I believe that I can do all things, and I desire a new job then my "work" is looking for and applying for new jobs. If I believe that God will bless me with a new home, then I need to actively begin cleaning up my credit, saving money, preparing myself with information about the current housing market and readying myself for home ownership. Saying that we have faith is not the E ticket to all of our hopes and dreams. Faith alone does not get us on the A list of prosperity, fame or fortune. Faith must be accompanied by work. Also, we cannot preach faith to others unless they can see us working our faith, living lives that actively pursue the will of God. When we introduce the concept of faith to non-believers we must have a right relationship with God that shines beyond our words. We must act, talk and live differently than those who do not profess to be a member of the body of Christ. The best way for me to show you my faith is by my work. Doing because we believe, even though we aren't sure of the outcome, is faith in action.
Yes, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. The operative word here is, "do." I must move toward those things that God has promised me. Sitting on the couch wearing my faith t-shirt will not improve my life, will not enrich my relationship with the Father and will not wins souls through my witnessing to others. Now is the time for us as Christians to set our faith into action as we begin feeding the hungry instead of walking past them, by clothing the naked instead of ushering them out the door when they come to church and we must begin to share the Good News not with words but in how we live daily.
Be Blessed,

No comments: