Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Unforgotten

"The Lord knows those who are his..." 2 Timothy 2:19

It's nearing the end of the year and Christmas is only days away and like many people I find myself pausing to reflect on the past 11 months and I must admit that it has been quite a year for me; one of disappointment, unexpected twists and turns and one of unimaginable blessings. I began the year unemployed like millions of other Americans and I wasn't quite sure what the future held for me but I always without a doubt knew Who held my future. The fear was not that I would not be able to survive the real fear was that I would. Now that might not make sense to most of you but give me a moment to explain. You see, as long as everything is going fine, we have jobs to go to each day, we're making money to pay our bills and we have a roof over our heads, then it's easy to say all those catchy cliches like "God will make a way out of no way," "He's an on-time God," and it's easy to tell others who are going through desperate times in their lives to just "have faith." I was one of those folks who had a whole list of things to tell others but it wasn't until I was in a position where I had to listen to those words spoken to me that I really had to stop and conduct a litmus test on my own faith. Did I really believe that God was an on-time God? Did I know and believe for sure that He could and would make a way out of no way? And was my faith strong enough to withstand the trials that life throws my way? What would I do really when the times got tough? Now I had to live that faith that I had admonished others to live so often in the past.
So, hear I am, 13 months into my unemployment with no job prospects in sight even after applying for hundreds of jobs, even after being told by employers that my resume is stellar and packed with everything and employer is looking for, still no job. Hmm...here I am taking stock on the year, and wondering what God has in store for me and wondering why I haven't found a job yet. Then it dawned on me that God was merely doing for me what I had been asking him to do for many many years and that was to show me a way to become a full time writer, to be able to support myself from my work as a writer and to be able to work from home doing what I believe God has called me to do. Duh, as the kids say, that is exactly what I've been doing for the last 13 months, writing, wow, I was blind and now I see. I am exactly where God wants me to be, doing exactly what He wants me to do. I haven't missed one meal, all bills are paid and current, my pantry is full and I have a really nice roof over my head! Ain't God good? Yes, He truly is!
So, as I review the year and look back I see that God has placed not only tremendous writing opportunities before me, too many for me to even expect to complete in 2010, he has placed some people in my life that have literally stepped from the shadows and been a blessing to me with their prayers, support, calls, friendship and unconditional love and for that I am truly blessed and thankful! Each time I get sad and want to have a private pity party I'm compelled to remember just what God has done for me and even how he has used me during this time and I have to say thank you for how he has used others to encourage me during my low moments. Most importantly the number one thing I have learned this year is that I am not forgotten, no in fact, I count myself among God's Unforgotten because he has never ever left me nor forsaken me; every trial, every tribulation every victory and every joy is all a part of His plan and I must say with great exhilaration that everything is going according to His plan and on His timetable. I am reminded of a scripture found in Jeremiah 29:11, that says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." So, to say I am excited about where the Lord has brought me would be an understatement of epic proportions because this is good news! Think about it, when an artist, or a writer or a musician or a craftsman makes something, even after manyyears they never forget that first painting or that first story or that first song or that first piece of furniture; so it is with God, he never forgets his own handiwork and because of that I can go into the new year with renewed anticipation, holding onto the knowledge that I belong to a God that will never forget me and will never forsake me for He knows those who are his!
Be Blessed!

1 comment:

sandi said...

Cynthia,how true are the statements you have written.God truly wants to see our words in action, because he will never say i told you so, we will see or ourselves how faithful God is to his promises.Your testimony speaks volumes to me. I thank you for sharing and being transparent. Continue to bea beacon that draws all men to Him!